Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Senior schedule!

I know my blog posting has dwindled over winter break, but hey, it's break! No vet school = not much vet school info to blog about.

To make up for it, I bring you the long-awaited (well, since October), just-published Senior Year Schedule!

Reminder: My junior year ends May 10, with senior orientation on May 11, and senior year starting on May 12. That means I'll be a senior in exactly 4 months! Yikes!

Here's an overview of my senior schedule, by weeks:

----------------------------

May 12, and weeks of May 16/23/30 and Jne 6: Community Practice (spay/neuter, dentistry, and non-referred, non-emergency appointments)

Weeks of June 13/20: small animal internal medicine

Weeks of June 27/July 4: neurology

Weeks of July 11/18: dermatology

Weeks of July 25/Aug 1: small animal orthopedic surgery

Weeks of Aug 8/15: vacation

Weeks of Aug 22/29: critical care/emergency (overnights/triage)

Weeks of Sept 5/12: oncology

Weeks of Sept 19/26: postmortem diagnosis (aka necropsy aka ugh)

Weeks of Oct 3/10: critical care/emergency (days)

Weeks of Oct 17/24: cardiology

Weeks of Oct 31/Nov 7/14/21: anesthesia

Weeks of Nov 28/Dec 5/12: diagnostic imaging

Weeks of Dec 19/26: one of these will be a vacation week; the other will be more diagnostic imaging

Weeks of Jan 2/9 (2012): vacation (this is awesome: if I have the week of Dec 26 as my vacation week, I'll get 3 weeks off in a row)

Weeks of Jan 16/23: small animal soft tissue surgery

Weeks of Jan 30/Feb 6: elective acupuncture course (debating whether I am actually going to enroll in this $4800 elective course...)

Weeks of Feb 13/20: small animal internal medicine

Weeks of Feb 27/Mar 5: more vacation

Weeks of Mar 12/19: ophthalmology

Weeks of Mar 26/Apr 2: Harrison Memorial Hospital (a huge small animal clinic in the metro area where we get to see appointments and practice spay/neuter)

Weeks of Apr 9/16: more vacation!

Weeks of Apr 23/30/May 7: small animal urgent care (a 5-11 pm, possibly extending to 8 am shift)

Then graduation, whoo hoo!

--------------------------

Items to note:

**I have four 2-week blocks of vacation, only 1 of which occurs in the first 6 months of senior year. Gulp.

**I really can't decide if I want to take the acupuncture course. It would take up my second of two elective spots, as well as requiring a week of my vacation time in the spring. Plus it costs a ton of money.

**My only elective (other than acupuncture) is the Harrison Memorial Hospital elective. I wish I had gotten the shelter medicine elective too!

**My 4 core weeks of emergency/critical care are divided up! Hallelujah for not having 4 weeks of CCU in a row!

**I definitely don't need to spend any more time volunteering in Community Practice as a junior, since I'll be starting out my senior year with 4.5 weeks of CP in a row.

**Not excited about having Anesthesia during the week of Thanksgiving... I'm a bit alarmed that that means I won't get much of a holiday.

**On the other hand, diagnostic imaging is pretty low stress, so even though I'll have to have that either the week of Christmas or the week of New Year's, I'm hopeful that will still allow me some extra time off.

**Hooray for 6 weeks of vacation in the 4 months prior to graduation!

No comments:

Post a Comment