Saturday, November 5, 2011

Anesthesia, Week 1

I've just finished my first of several weeks of Anesthesia. It's typically a 3 week rotation, but since mine falls over Thanksgiving, I get an extra 3 regular days plus a "bonus" fourth on-call shift.

Anesthesia kind of freaks me out (and always has). So I was fairly petrified before my first case on Monday. Mondays are usually slower days on Anesthesia, because many of our patients later in the week end up scheduled for anesthesia the day after an appointment for a surgery consult, neurology assessment, internal medicine consult, etc.

It didn't look like I was going to even have a case on Monday, until an ophthalmology emergency arrived at 3 pm. It was an elderly small-breed dog with a raging heart murmur (probable mitral valve disease) whose attempt at medically managing her infected corneal ulcer had completely failed, resulting in what would very soon be a ruptured eyeball without surgical intervention.

So, to review my first case:

1. Emergency. No time to plan or look things up in my notes.
2. Old dog (12 years).
3. Heart disease that the ophthalmology service didn't even notice (apparently they only deal with eyeballs?) and which had never been worked up with any diagnostics like chest x-rays, echo, or EKG.
4. Ophthalmology patient, meaning a likely need to paralyze the dog while under anesthesia to keep the eye from moving at all while they worked on it. Paralyzing the eye muscles also means you happen to paralyze the diaphragm, meaning you are then responsible for breathing for the patient. Plus, the things you would normally look at to determine if the patient is adequately anesthetized (do they have a blink reflex, how loose is their jaw tone, what is the position of their eye) go away, so you have to use special monitoring equipment that I've never used before.

Anyhow, all ended up going well. Fortunately, we didn't need to paralyze this little girl, which gave me much less to deal with. There were a few ups and downs at the beginning of her anesthesia (there usually are), and by the time things finally settled down, it was 5 pm and the on-call student arrived to relieve me.

That's one of the nice things about Anesthesia: One student is on call every weeknight from 5 pm until 8 am the next morning, so if your anesthesia is still going at 5 pm, you get to take off and someone else takes over for you. Also, they really care about us getting a few minutes' break to eat lunch or a snack or go to the bathroom if we have a lengthy anesthesia.

On Tuesday, I anesthetized a 150-lb St Bernard with probably osteosarcoma (aggressive bone cancer) in one of his forelimbs. He was massively obese (would have looked good at 120 lb), making amputation not a great option, so his anesthesia was for a CT scan so they could plan radiation therapy.

Aside from needing about 9 people to move Mr. St Bernard from ground to induction table to gurney to CT table to gurney to recovery, everything went quite well and it was a quick anesthesia (only about 90 minutes total), which I loved.

My patient on Wednesday was a middle-aged Chesapeake Bay retriever scheduled for a dental. (Oops -- the veterinary dentist/oral surgeon gets mad if we call it a dental instead of a "periodontal treatment.") Ms. Chessie was a friendly girl, but a little anxious. I tried a combination of pre-medications I hadn't used before, which took the edge off but didn't really knock her out. It was enough to allow us to place an IV catheter, though.

The dentistry suite, while not far from the anesthesia department, is enough out of the way that the anesthesia nurses and doctors don't come by to check on you all that often. It was thus a good opportunity for me to get a bit more comfortable handling issues and complications on my own as much as I could, and to feel okay about calling someone in to help me when I needed it.

Ms. Chessie's dental took forever, though. It usually takes somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 minutes once the patient is induced to get them intubated, attach all of their monitoring equipment (pulse oximeter, EKG, capnograph, Doppler crystal, oscillometric blood pressure, and temperature probe), and move them to the department they're headed for. After that, it took 3 hours for the dentistry student to take full-mouth x-rays and chart the dental disease. It was another four hours of cleaning, pulling teeth, and recovery time before she was finally extubated. Fortunately, I got to sneak away for about 20 minutes in the middle to get a bite to eat.

Thursday's patient was an elderly lab mix with a previously removed anal sac tumor that had since spread to her abdominal lymph nodes, so the surgery was intended to remove the lymph nodes to give her some palliative relief. Pre-medication and induction were uneventful, as was surgery, until the surgeons nicked a large artery and Ms. Lab Mix started hemorrhaging.

Which showed me that us anesthesia students sure don't need to worry about being left alone when something bad is happening! A bunch of surgery support staff flooded into the room, as well as 2 of the anesthesiologists and 2 anesthesia nurses. We pushed fluids into Ms. Lab Mix to keep her blood pressure up, gave her another shot of pain meds so we could lower the amount of gas she was breathing (which causes low blood pressure), and sent someone to get blood products from the pharmacy for a probable transfusion.

However, Ms. Lab Mix is a rockstar and pulled through with hardly a drop in blood pressure below the normal range. We didn't need to transfuse her, and she recovered like a champ. It probably helped that we were proactive about treating her for blood loss as soon as the hemorrhage started, but still, everyone was surprised by how well she did.

Thursday night was my first night on call, and much to my chagrin I was called in at 6 pm to anesthetize a colicking horse. There was some immediate and striking nausea on my part when I got the call, because horses are SO not my thing.

However, upon arriving at the barn (yes, I found my way out there all by myself!), the anesthesia nurse on call advised me that I didn't have to do anything other than keep the anesthesia record if I wanted. Other than taking a long time to wake up, the mare did quite well, and I survived too!

Friday's 2 cases were a 9 month old Doberman having what was probably a very malignant tumor removed from his skin, and a very sickly 3 month old Boston terrier with pneumonia who needed to be lightly anesthetized for a tracheal wash to collect a sample of her mucus. That second one sure was exciting, starting with a lengthy attempt to place an IV catheter (she ended up with a jugular catheter) and concluding with a puppy whose lungs did not appreciate having a bunch of saline flushed into them.

Overall it was an interesting week. I feel about 10 times better about anesthesia than I did on Monday, but I still have a long way to go -- that's why we have 2.5 more weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment