Saturday, December 3, 2011

Welcome to Radiation Vacation

I've had my first week of "radiation vacation," more officially known as Diagnostic Imaging rotation. It's another 3 week rotation, for which I'll get a "bonus" partial week before Christmas.

And, yeah. There's not that much to say about it. Basically we sit around the radiology department, waiting for requests for radiographs to come in. Sometimes we walk over to the patient wards to retrieve a dog or cat; sometimes the animal is brought to us. Sometimes the pet is sedated or anesthetized for radiographs; sometimes they don't need to be; sometimes they aren't sedated but should be. Sometimes we take abdominal rads or extremities (quite a few stifles), but mostly we take "met checks" (3-view thoracic radiographs).

Sometimes we take radiographs pretty much non-stop for a period of several hours. And then there are days like yesterday, when we took 3 sets of rads in 5 hours. Blechh.

On the one hand, it's nice to have a chill rotation requiring arrival at 8 am and from which we usually get to leave at 4, but always by 5. However, I'm already anticipating an extreme worsening of my current level of boredom by the time another 2.5 weeks have passed. Oh, well -- should give me some time to polish up my resume and start job-hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment