Friday, February 19, 2010

Alarm? What alarm?

It snowed yesterday and last night, which made me glad that I had already decided (for academic reasons) to skip choir in Denver. No need to drive down there in bad weather anyway.

So as I got ready for bed (early, around 8:45 - no shame in that, though, right?), I opted to get up a little early in the morning to allow for a longer commute.

This morning, my first alarm went off at 6:00 am. I ignored it and went back to sleep.

[Note: I used to get up to a single alarm in the morning, just an alarm on my cell phone that goes off for about 45 seconds then shuts itself off. After I unintentionally slept through that completely a couple times, I started using a second alarm, which is my clock radio. My radio goes off at a loud volume and will stay on for 2 hours unless I shut it off.]

My second alarm went off at 6:10 am.

I have recently gotten into the unfortunate habit of snoozing for a short while as my 2nd alarm continues to go off. This morning, I was so annoyed by the loud volume of the radio, I pulled a pillow over my head and went back to sleep.

I woke up again at 6:40 am, with my second alarm still going off (still really loud).

And realized I REALLY had to get up this time.

I do believe I set a new record for amount of morning preparation I can accomplish in 30 minutes: get out of bed, feed the cats, wash hands, go to the bathroom, brush teeth, take a shower, put in contacts, get dressed, brush hair, check email, make breakfast, eat breakfast, put out garbage and recycling, pack backpack, and pack a lunch.

And I would have actually gotten to school a little earlier than usual, had it not been for (a) the snowplow on the freeway, and (b) the loooooong train that cut in front of me just as I was trying to get to my classroom building on the opposite side of the tracks.

Overall, I feel it was a rather nonproductive day, and I was not harmed by sleeping in and having a rushed morning. Turns out all of my academic motivation went right out the window with the end of the last of my 4 exams. But at least I can have that self-satisfied feeling of knowing I didn't skip any classes even though I REALLY wanted to...

No comments:

Post a Comment