Monday, April 11, 2011

Bullwinkle!

I'm on surgery C for anesthesia this week, meaning I'm assigned to my very own humane society anesthetic case tomorrow and Thursday, and my very own client-owned spay/neuter patient on Wednesday.

Tomorrow's patient, "Bullwinkle," is a scruffy little mutt dog, about 12 pounds, mostly black with a little white on his chest, with long wiry hair and two very large testicles. He's about a year old -- estimated only, because he was left overnight at one of the local humane societies. :(

I have to say: Bullwinkle's only chance at upcoming adoption is for someone to fall in love with his "quirky" appearance. I say "quirky," because it doesn't seem very politically correct to say what my anesthesia rotation-mate said when she saw him: "Oh my god! Your dog looks like a retard!"

True, Bullwinkle must have come from a motley line of cross-bred dogs, with nary a purebred ancestor in sight. True, his eyes do bug out of his head, one more than the other. And yes, he has one ear that stands straight up and one ear that flops over. And I'll admit that when he looks directly at you, you can't avoid a shiver of crazy running down your spine.

But he's sweet! Okay, he's really scared and doesn't want to look at you, or come near you. And if you put a leash or collar on him, he melts to the floor and magically weighs 80 pounds. But he let me pick him up and put him on my lap, and didn't try to get away. He's one of those "I'm so freaked out I can't move but I don't think I'm going to bite you" dogs. So I'm not sure anyone will fall in love with him based on his personality, unless he really warms up once he gets de-testicled.

I have a sterling anesthetic management plan worked out for him, including some acepromazine, atropine, and morphine as pre-meds; ketamine/diazepam for induction; isoflurane maintenance; an intratesticular lidocaine block; and carprofen/morphine injections post-op with his senior Community Practice student choosing what oral NSAIDs he'll take home with him. Doses and rates are calculated out for oxygen flow, IV fluids, and atropine/dobutamine/ephedrine if needed to help with his heart rate or blood pressure. He'll get a pulse oximeter, capnograph, EKG, Doppler blood pressure, and temperature probe to make sure he's doing well while asleep.

Here's hoping Bullwinkle's surgery goes well tomorrow, and that he doesn't try to give me a heart attack while I'm managing his anesthesia! Despite his "unique" looks, I'm starting to like him...

1 comment:

  1. Lawboy's advice: don't fall for Bullwinkle! Never bring home anything with "very large testicles"...

    ReplyDelete