Sunday, January 22, 2012

Since we last spoke

Here are a few of the things that have happened in the last several weeks:

1. Stopped by 7 small animal vet practices in southeastern Minnesota and southwestern Wisconsin to drop off my resume and cover letter.

2. Had a phone interview with one of the aforementioned practices (alas, though I followed up by email, I've had no additional communication about the possibility of a job at that practice).

3. Found out I passed NAVLE. Huzzah!

4. Got my score report for NAVLE, which told me I scored a 598 on a scale of 200 to 800 with 425 being the minimum to pass, and an 86 on a scale of 0 to 99 with 75 being the minimum to pass. Nice scoring system, eh?

5. Visited the career counselor-type-person associated with the vet school who will edit resumes and cover letters; got plenty of suggestions I've not yet had time to implement.

6. Started my Soft Tissue Surgery rotation, which is one of those busy-busy-busy rotations that I've had the fortune of not experiencing for quite awhile (probably since I was on CCU in October, and Oncology in September).

After 4 weeks of "radiation vacation" followed by 3 weeks of actual vacation, it was a bit jarring to hit the ground running with a full caseload, long hours, on-call shifts, and weekend duties in Soft Tissue. I remain not the hugest fan of having to be at school from 7 am till 7 pm most weekdays. And on-call still stresses me out -- although I had my first on-call shift this past Friday night, and did not get called in (which for me is almost unheard-of!).

Anyway, the upside of being on a busy, interesting service with lots of neat patients, clients, and cases is that I have lots of things I'd like to blog about. The downside of said busy, interesting service is that I lack the time to write. But stay tuned -- I promise some good stories are on their way!

No comments:

Post a Comment