Saturday, March 24, 2012

Ophthalmology

I just finished 2 weeks of ophthalmology. And I tried to blog about it. I really did.

But ophthalmology is such a boring and frustrating subject that living through cases once was enough for me, and I couldn't bring myself to re-hash any of them for you!

I saw a lot of corneal ulcers, cataracts, glaucoma. The usual eye stuff. Watched a bunch of cataract surgeries (which is cool to see the first time, then you never need to see one again because they are all the same).

We had a pig eye lab last Friday, where we sutured corneal lacerations and did conjunctival grafts on eyeballs. It was okay. Yesterday our lab was done on whole dead cats. We sutured eyelid lacerations, did third eyelid flaps, performed temporary tarsorraphies, and finally enucleated one or both eyes. It was disgusting.

I think I still hated necropsy more than ophthalmology, but ophtho was probably my least favorite of all of my clinical rotations involving clients and appointments. I'd even rather repeat orthopedics than spend another 2 weeks on ophtho!

So, adios, ophthalmology. I'm so done with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment