Saturday, September 18, 2010

1.5 years of VTH tours finally pay off

Don't get me wrong -- I've enjoyed giving tours of the VTH for the last year and a half. But I'd begun to doubt that one of my original goals when I trained as a tour guide -- to learn my way around the hospital -- would ever really help in my vet school career.

But during the last 2 weeks especially, I've had lots of opportunities where I was the one among my rotation-mates who knew where a department or rounds room was located, how to get to the ultrasound department, extra sets of stairs to run up to the locker rooms, hidden restrooms, or what the heck it means when the computer says a dog is in "OR17" or "3R2."

It may seem like a small thing, but I really don't need any extra stressors this year, such as feeling like I'm wandering around aimlessly hoping to stumble across my desired destination by sheer luck. And it's neat to know multiple ways in and out of various locations, so I don't have to drag a reluctant 150 lb dog through a busy treatment area but can instead take the long way around and not be in anyone's way.

There are lots of reasons why I started giving tours and why I still enjoy them (and let's just say the stellar hourly pay isn't one of them). With having done so many tours, it's just been interesting to realize this year how lost some of my classmates are. Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment