Sunday, September 19, 2010

Prostatic massage, chest tube placement, and intraosseous catheters, oh my!

Those are only 3 of the 29 small animal medicine & critical care procedures I just learned about through some exciting online modules with associated quizzes, in preparation for tomorrow's start of Small Animal Procedures lab.

We'll have half a day of bandaging practice, 2 days of trying out the above procedures on cadavers (how exactly do you gauge the success of your attempted prostatic massage on a cadaver, I wonder?), and 2 days of dental procedures (extractions, nerve blocks, etc. -- also cadavers -- "Hey dead dog, can you feel anything, or did I numb up the correct nerve just now?").

I understand the value of models and cadavers as teaching tools before unleashing us vet students on real live pets, but come on. I REALLY don't want to do a digital rectal exam on a cadaver...

No comments:

Post a Comment