Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Capstone: 2/3 over

This morning's oh-so-wonderful Capstone exam is over.

When I think back to how important my grades were to me as an undergrad -- how I really despised that one B+ I got in O-chem, how I so valued my stellar gpa -- and compare that attitude to how I feel now, I can't help but think to myself, "Nice job, vet school."

It's amazing how I am now capable of going through a 180-question exam and honestly feeling perfectly satisfied with providing a wrong answer for every single question relating to equine and bovine reproduction.

Really, why am I supposed to care how long a cow's estrus cycle is or how big a mare's ovarian follicle should be before you induce ovulation? Seriously.

C = DVM? Heck yes it does. "Just get a 70%" has become a mantra that sustains not only me but also my 137 counterparts.

Will I ever need to recall the most common circumstance under which a mare develops severe endometritis? How about the typical rule-outs for foot disease in feedlot cattle? Characteristic appearance of OCD lesions in the equine stifle? When to use or not use intramammary antibiotics to treat dairy cow mastitis?

Yep, didn't think so.

All I can say for this morning's exam is: Thank the good lord for an unusually high proportion of behavior and practice management questions in relation to the number of actual medicine questions. Gotta love something like:

"The factors that affect my happiness and feeling of self-worth include:

(a) Personal success
(b) Financial success
(c) Career success
(d) All of the above"

They forgot option E: "Only an excellent score on my junior-year Capstone exam will make me happy and increase my self-worth."

Now off to partake in some of my newest and most favorite Capstone study aid: Bubble Spinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment