Tuesday, January 12, 2010

One more week

I find myself immensely glad that I still have one week left of winter break. You'd think that with 4.5 weeks off in total, I'd have done everything I intended to accomplish during my vacation. You'd think wrong!

It's been a good break. First was a half-week off with few responsibilities other than church stuff and getting the house cleaned in preparation for company.

Then CLH's mom, dad, and brother stayed with us for 4-5 days over Christmas.

They left on Dec 27, and CLH and I packed up the Buick that evening and set out at 7 am on Dec 28 to make the long trek to Minnesota.

We lucked out with weather and driving conditions. Combining that with the brilliant idea of packing lunch to eat in the car, we made the drive in 13 hours flat, both there and back.

We had a few quick days in MN then headed back to Colorado on New Year's Day (again, nice driving).

CLH had to go back to work on Jan 4 (poor him) but I have been hanging around, relaxing, sleeping, watching TV on Hulu, playing FarmVille, and gradually (very gradually) working my way through my to-do list.

It's been really nice to sleep for 9 to 11 hours a night (except for Saturday nights - always have to be up for church!). If only the extra sleep would carry forward for my upcoming hectic semester...

My teeth have visited the dentist, my poor left tricep has received an H1N1 vaccine, my Buick has had the oil and transmission fluid changed. A bookcase has been assembled. Numerous trips have been made to the library to check out books, return books, and pick up reserve books (I am working on this strategy called: Check out fewer books than you are returning - yet there is still a substantial stack next to the bed). Several DVDs have been checked out from Redbox. Today I bought some shoes. I am sporting 4 new pairs of jeans plus a pair of cords - thank goodness.

The house could still a little cleaning (pine needles left in the living room from the Christmas tree and wreath). I've been slaving away to complete a scholarship application (the PEO Scholar Award) - that one still has a ways to go, but I've got another 10 days. I intend to clean up the computer desk and reorganize the attic, where Christmas decorations got strewn willy-nilly when we packed them up. I need to order a new phone from Sprint. A bit more shopping wouldn't hurt (more sweaters/T-shirts). Gotta put some pictures up on the walls, since I finaly got them all framed. Etc.

At times it seems a little ridiculous to have a break from school that is over a month long (excluding summer break). But this one seems to have filled up pretty evenly with family time, travel, CLH time, and relaxation. I think it'll be just about the right amount of time to make me really ready to get back to school again (though I'll regret saying that by, oh, probably next Thursday or so).

Sorry to all of you poor people back at school and work already! I'll sleep a little extra for you. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment