Sunday, April 18, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

I celebrated my 24th birthday on Friday.

Did I do a bunch of super-exciting things for my birthday?

Um.... no.

Was it about as exciting as my more recent birthdays typically have been?

You bet.

Since we don't have class till 10 on Fridays, I slept in until 8 am (no, wait, 8:10 am.... no, wait, 8:20 am; yes, there were a couple re-set alarms in there).

Lectures on my birthday included an hour of livestock fluid therapy, an hour of circulatory shock, an hour of anesthetic considerations for hepatic and renal patients, and an hour of parturition.

Note: no hour of Business Law! That's right, I felt that having a birthday was a good enough excuse to skip that class for one day. (Although, truth be told, my standards for "good enough excuse" have been rapidly declining as of late.)

I got home around 3:30 and hung out for awhile.... caught up on The Daily Show and The Colbert Report...

I must admit to working on my shelter medicine project for awhile as CLH was making special birthday dinner.

(Aside: This shelter project has turned out sort of weird for me. Mine is basically a 17-page paper entitled "Feline Leukemia Virus: Diagnosis, Prevention, and Education in Animal Shelters." I was really unexcited about the whole prospect of a project for shelter medicine class, seeing as it is a one-credit elective that already has two exams as part of the grade... can we say 'going overboard'? But once I got started on it, I have really gotten into it. I was expecting to write maybe 5 pages, plus references, but am now up to 17 [and just about done, except for some proofreading and rearranging]. I think it helps that I haven't really had to write any serious papers for the last maybe 3 years or so.)

CLH made me honey sesame chicken and fried rice for dinner, with a chocolate chip cheesecake for dessert. Nom nom nom!

After dinner we opened presents. CLH's were hidden a la scavenger hunt-style around the house and included an Easter egg hunt (we couldn't find the Easter eggs at Easter). Then we opened presents and cards from other family and friends. Thanks everybody! One of my favorite random presents was a snake knitted for me by my quirky vet school friend. Definitely my weirdest present.

After presents, we watched an episode of Boston Legal and pretty much headed to bed.

I definitely slept in till about 10:30 yesterday morning, then we went out for brunch in Fort Collins. While trying desperately to fight off the postprandial coma, we went to Sprouts, Staples, Target, King Soopers, and the bank on our way home.

At that point, I contemplated studying some cardiology. (I really did think about it! Well, for all of about 7 seconds.)

Instead I baked some gingersnaps for CLH's concert today, then we made some biscuits.

The biscuits came with us down to Broomfield for a church dinner group/get-together. Which was fun, and we ate a lot! Then another hour drive back home, and off to bed.

Okay, here is the "strike-me-dead" part of the blog entry: I skipped church today!

Yep, first time in any sort of recent memory that I can recall just blatantly skipping church.

(Before some of you flip out: I had no responsibilities at church, not even singing in the choir [no anthem today] or page-turning for CLH.)

I mostly skipped because of tomorrow's horrifying cardiology exam (covers 50 hours of lecture material and is 1/3 of our ClinSci II grade). And, admittedly, it was SO totally worth it to be able to not get up super-early and still get in a solid 3.5 hours of cardiology study time before CLH got back from church. I also skipped because I want to go to CLH's choir concert this afternoon, and I would just be way too stressed out if I did that AND spent all morning at church.

So that's my "bad deed" for the weekend.... but I have to admit to almost no regrets! Ah, I dream of a day when our church isn't 50 minutes away....

No comments:

Post a Comment