Thursday, April 22, 2010

I want my money back!

Today, we had yet another no-show professor.

That makes at least 3 that I can recall this semester.

First we had the professor who was in Italy when he was scheduled to lecture.

Second, we had the cardiology professor who was scheduled to give an afternoon lecture, but never showed up. When our regular prof came to lecture the next day, he had no idea that his associate missed the previous day's lecture. Turned out she was helping in the clinics on an unstable surgery that needed a cardio consult, and she couldn't leave. Would have been nice if she had let us know by email or something that night!

Third, we [be "we," I mean about 50% of the class] showed up for our usual BoD lecture at 8 this morning. No problem. A third of us went and sat in the lab in preparation for our 9 am BoD lab session. We immediately noticed the lack of foul odor resulting from an absence of any pathology specimens... and no instructor in the lab. Like patient little vet students, we waited until 9 am, when no instructor had arrived yet. Our course coordinator poked her head in, realized nobody was there, and called the professor who was supposed to run the lab... turns out he just forgot.

So that made 3 hours instead of 2 that I was stuck in the pathology building (pouring rain outside) trying to kill time. At least my shelter paper is finally finished once and for all, and my FarmVille farm is well under control!

But seriously... only for one of those three absences did we receive a really sincere, heartfelt apology (the first absence). Even in that case, the professor who was supposed to teach didn't apologize - rather, the course coordinator apologized for him, and acknowledged wasting our time.

We pay a lot of money for our education - about $50 per hour of lecture for me this semester. That means I'd like a $150 refund, please. I understand that sometimes class is cancelled because we got through material faster than expected, or something like that. But when we all show up, early in the morning, ready to go, and someone just "forgot"? Then I get irritated.

No comments:

Post a Comment