Wednesday, October 27, 2010

2 more days of JSL

I'm tired and busy, so this will be brief.

Yesterday performed a full abdominal exploratory surgery, then cut out a pig's spleen, then spayed it (removed ovaries and uterus). Then closed our 14-16 inch long abdominal incision (takes forever!).

This morning I cut open another pig's stomach, then sewed it back up. Then assisted my partner with an intestinal resection and anastomosis (cutting out a "diseased" portion of the intestine, then suturing the 2 healthy ends together). Then, again, we had to close our incision (which we kept closer to 12 inches today -- clever us!).

Tomorrow brings nephrectomies (cutting out kidneys and ureters) and cystotomies (cutting into the bladder, e.g. to remove a bladder stone).

Friday is "mystery" surgery day (although I cheated by scrubbing in with the JSL group a few weeks ago, so I am already prepared to find GI Joes and toy dinosaurs hidden among the intestines, iatrogenic intussusceptions, blocked ureters, and superglue in the bladder).

Here's what I learned today: I can handle a 12 hour day at school (including 4 hours of surgery, a lunch presentation, 3 hours of class, 2 hours of studying, and an hour-long lecture about the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners) on a mere 5.75 hours of sleep. Though I'd prefer not to.

I promise further updates about JSL and my hectic week within the next few days (or at least over the weekend [which can't come soon enough!]).

No comments:

Post a Comment