Sunday, October 24, 2010

This little piggie went to market (but ended up anesthetized at the vet school)

Tomorrow is my first day of "pig lab," known more officially as Junior Surgery Lab.

With 22 students in the class, we pair up and each team of 2 students works on an anesthetized piggie.

Tomorrow is some simpler stuff -- suturing skin incisions, elliptical incisions, practicing different suture patterns, etc. -- getting us used to some basics, reminding us about aseptic technique, and introducing us to the difference between working with live tissue versus the cadavers we've gotten to know pretty well over the last 2+ years.

Here's hoping I don't feel like passing out! A large breakfast plus extra snacking and lots of water is in my future in approximately 12 hours.

I'm thinking pig lab is really going to be a blast. But I'll admit I'm not thrilled about having to leave the house around 6:45 am every day this week... Thanksgiving break, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment