Thursday, November 5, 2009

Breaking news: School newspaper ruins vet student's morning

As is my custom, I arrived at school a few minutes early this morning, grabbed a copy of the school newspaper, and sat down to skim the articles before getting a head-start on the Sudoku and crossword prior to the beginning of class.

Imagine my dismay when, while minding my own business, I stumbled across the following quotation, printed in large type below a front-page headline:

"This is reactive. It's not a proactive measure; it's affects are limited."

It pained me greatly just to type that sentence for you.

How have I wronged the universe, that I should have to endure two of my most hated grammatical pet peeves in a single sentence -- nay, merely one clause of a single sentence?

Do we not have editors for this sort of thing?

Are we not college students ourselves?

Are we really going to be the future of our country?

(stepping off my soapbox)

Admittedly, today's grammatical errors were indeed a minor offense compared to Tuesday's misreporting, which necessitated a front-page correction. You see, on Tuesday the newspaper ran a story about a Colorado high school counselor accused of sexual assault and child molestation. On Wednesday, the paper rather sheepishly included an apology and a correction indicating that on Tuesday they had included the wrong man's picture, with a caption naming him as the molester. Whoops!

No comments:

Post a Comment