Friday, November 20, 2009

It's break, baby!

The first thing I need to say is: It's about time!

Over the last 7-10 days I have been stressed, hormonal, weepy, irritable, and probably generally unpleasant to be around at several times. CLH deserves a lot of credit for patience.

But finally, this semester's hard work has paid off: Thanksgiving break!

I really cannot understand why, unlike many universities, my school has no form of a fall break. We get Labor Day off, then nothing till Thanksgiving. How about Columbus Day? Veteran's Day? A 4-day weekend in October?

Nope, just 13 basically uninterrupted weeks of non-stop classes, homework, studying, quizzes, and exams.

So I feel justified in saying that this break has been well-earned.

Luckily, both of this afternoon's lectures were cancelled, resulting in my academic responsibilities today being limited to 70 minutes of BoD lab this morning. Hooray for professors having some common sense about when to have (or not to have) class.

I'm currently at home, with a full belly of Spiderman macaroni and cheese, listening to NPR (Science Friday!), watching the cats wrestle, playing FarmVille and Bejeweled, with a stack of new library books waiting for me.

I greatly look forward to having minimal academic tasks to complete over the next 10 days.

(I do need to remember to finish the vet school scholarship application. Forgetting that would be bad.)

CLH and I will have the weekend to ourselves, then we'll fly to Arizona on Monday afternoon, and fly back to CO on Friday. The cats have a babysitter, and we have plans to see all sorts of Southwestern family members and old friends during those 5 days.

Happy Thanksgiving to all, and may you have a peaceful, relaxing week too!

1 comment: