Friday, December 12, 2008

Fraternal jealousy, or Metronidazole is yummy

Johnny has been dealing with some sort of chronic GI problem (you don't want to know more) for a few months now and he's been to the VTH repeatedly as we try to figure out what's causing it. His last round of trial meds did nothing so now he's on a 14-day course of Metronidazole.

Metronidazole is not a tasty drug. Often, when dogs or cats taste it, they end up frothing and drooling like rabid beasts from the unpleasant taste. So the goal is to either pill them expertly so they never taste it, or to mix it up in something really yummy. I'm not thrilled by the idea of shoving a pill down Johnny's throat twice a day for two weeks (plus cats can get pills stuck in their esophagus which can cause a whole new set of problems), so I got Johnny's meds compounded into a flavored liquid form.

He was due for his first dose this morning, so as it got close to time for me to leave for class, I pulled up the little syringe with his meds, grabbed him in the kitchen, and assumed my favorite cat-medicating pose. (That is, me squatting/kneeling on the floor with his back end trapped firmly under me between my knees, and the biting end face away from me.) Pried open his mouth and squirted in the meds.... lo and behold, I think he liked it! The last time I administered flavored compounded liquid Metronidazole was with our long-term foster cat, and she despised it and did the whole frothy drooly thing every time.

The funniest part was that once I grabbed Johnny to medicate him, Simon of course was super-interested in what was going on. He got right up in Johnny's face as I was squirting in the meds, and as soon as I was done Simon looked up at me with this great face that so clearly said, "Johnny got some sort of food! Where is mine?!" (After all, anything that goes in the mouth must be food and so both cats must have it, or life just is not fair.)

Here's hoping Simon eventually figures out that he is NOT going to get any of Johnny's Metronidazole, ever, and he can leave poor Johnny alone while I shoot a bunch of liquid medication down his throat....

No comments:

Post a Comment