Sunday, January 25, 2009

Maybe large animals aren't so bad after all...

This semester, at least a couple of my classes are being taught or coordinated by clinicians who are mainly focused on large animal medicine. They seem to have a bit of a different style but are pretty entertaining and fun to listen to.

My "Nutrition & Metabolism" course will cover all sorts of topics related to nutrition, for all sorts of animals. However, we're starting with large animal nutrition, which means last week was spent learning all about different kinds of large animal feeds, like forages, silages, haylages, grains, supplements, etc. It's pretty interesting for me. For the fairly significant number of kids in our class who were apparently born on a farm with their arm already up a cow's rectum, it must be pretty darn boring.

The "Food Animal Production & Food Safety" class is also interesting. The majority of our grade comes from a book report written about a book about food production. I'm reading "Fast Food Nation," which I've wanted to read since Eric Schlosser talked to our Bioethics class at ASU last year. In March & April, we'll have two days of field trips to go visit different livestock production facilities. That means I'll have to get rubber boots (!) and coveralls (!). But we need them for the 3rd & 4th years anyway.

Anyhow - I doubt I'll ever, ever be persuaded to do anything other than small animal or shelter practice, but it will be nice to get a bit of a perspective on the large animal side of things so I don't make a complete idiot out of myself after graduation.

No comments:

Post a Comment