Wednesday, January 7, 2009

So I'll never be a painter, either....

If Monday and Tuesday were "housewife" days, today was pretend-to-be-a-painter day. Since we moved into our condo there have been a number of areas where the paint needs to be touched up - especially in our bedroom where the previous owners spackled some spots poorly and just left other nail holes in obvious spots. So I decided to tackle the task of repainting the bedroom.

Let me just say that I've never really painted anything before, so this was to be a learning experience. I spent some time on the Internet looking up info and tips about painting, and talked to Mom, the expert painter. Armed with spackle, a putty knife, sandpaper, a 10x20 foot plastic drop cloth, screwdrivers, hammer, rags and dish soap, blue painter's tape, roller, roller covers, roller pan, angled edging brush, and two gallons of "Cornerstone"-colored latex paint with satin finish, I set out to put two coats on the approximately 350 square feet of the bedroom.

Well, after about 18 hours of planning, moving furniture, cleaning, prepping, painting, and clean-up, it is finally done. I have to admit that I didn't have as much fun as I thought I would... I think painting is probably more fun when you have a second person around to help or at least keep you company, and when you are tall enough (or have a stepladder) to reach as high as you need to without standing on your tiptoes.

In the end, I'm glad the ugly spots on the walls are patched and painted over. I'm glad the paint looks smooth and fresh. I'm glad the color worked out okay. But this was mostly a learning experience - now I've got LOTS of ideas for what not to do next time.

P.S. Anybody have tips for getting paint off of wooden baseboards, door frames, carpet, clothing, and/or our bedspread?? Note to self: next time, all the furniture needs to leave the room...

No comments:

Post a Comment