Monday, March 9, 2009

Feeling healthy

Oddly enough, during the last few months of vet school I've felt the healthiest I can ever remember feeling in my life. I'm exercising regularly (currently jogging about 8 miles a week and walking another 4 or 5 miles), taking a daily vitamin, getting mostly a good amount of sleep, trying to eat healthy foods, and trying to keep up with my studying to decrease the stress. I haven't gotten sick since September when evil germs infected about 95% of the freshman class. (Hey, we spend 40+ hours a week in close proximity in the cubes and lecture hall... no wonder everybody got sick.) This spring, I've thus far been immune to all of the circulating bugs. (Okay, but now I'll probably get sick since I said that.) I have an adequate amount of energy and am rarely tempted to fall asleep in class (about twice a month, always right after lunch, despite the amusing quips from the professor).

Last semester we spent an unbelievable amount of time being lectured about "life balance" as relates to stressful and often time-consuming careers in veterinary medicine. It was mostly annoying to listen to the same advice week after week, but one thing that stuck with me is that things probably won't get remarkably easier after this. It's not as though we'll graduate from vet school and life will be simple and full of free time. They pointed out that if you want to develop good habits, the time to do it is now. So I'm trying!

No comments:

Post a Comment