Thursday, March 26, 2009

Snow Day!

As of noon today, the university was officially shut down, with classes cancelled for the remainder of the day, and we were advised to go home (while driving slowly).

They've been forecasting today's snow for a few days now, but apparently they didn't realize quite how hard it would hit. When I got up at 7:30 this morning, there was only a light accumulation on the ground but it was really coming down. By the time I left at 9, several inches had built up.

The roads were pretty decent... my biggest challenge was getting past the timid drivers crawling along the interstate at 20 miles an hour. I was surprised and pleased that my morning commute was only extended by 10 minutes or so.

But things were obviously worse in FoCo. They had accumulated probably 5 or 6 inches of snow by the time I got there shortly before 10, and driving visibility within the city was down to about 100 yards.

At the end of my 11 am Nutrition class, the professor announced that the university was closing at 12. (Party on, Rams!)

I promptly headed out, knowing that my drive home would probably be worse - and it was. I made it back to Windsor in about 70 minutes. The biggest challenge was getting up the off-ramp from I-25 onto Hwy 392 that takes you into Windsor. Two cars in front of me were pretty much stuck on the side of the ramp with their wheels spinning. They were trying to get moving and I wanted to let them go, but if I'd stopped, I'd probably still be stuck there with them...

Surprisingly, the roads and weather were a lot better in Windsor than in FoCo. It sounds like Greeley is getting hit pretty hard, too. The University of Northern Colorado (in Greeley) was closing too, and our church cancelled all our music activities for the night.

Can't say I'm especially bummed about having a few extra hours to study! My biggest hope for tomorrow is that: (a) the snow is so bad that our field trip gets cancelled (seeing as we are supposed to be driving ourselves to a farming operation somewhere out in the country, possibly as far as a normal 45 minute drive from campus), or (b) everything melts and we get a nice sunny day for learning about sheep!

1 comment:

  1. Whoa Becky! Intense weather, much? You should come to Minnesota...we have floods AND blizzards here. Sometimes at the same time! Or you can just stay in Windsor and be safe...well sort of. :P

    ReplyDelete