Saturday, September 19, 2009

Glutton for punishment?

The other day, while contemplating this semester's extreme boringness, I decided to cheer myself up by looking at the curriculum schedule to see what new and exciting classes I can look forward to for next spring.

The required classes are:
-- Principles of Imaging Interpretation I (2 credits)
-- Principles of Surgery (2 credits)
-- Principles of Anesthesia (3 credits)
-- Biology of Disease III (3 credits)
-- Theriogenology (3 credits)
-- Clinical Sciences I (5 credits)
-- Clinical Sciences II (4 credits)

That's a total of 22 required credits, which is really pretty average for a vet student's courseload. Full-time undergrad status requires a minimum of 12 credits. At ASU, you had to do a special petition to take more than 18 credits as an undergrad.

First year fall semester was 21 required credits, and I took the elective accounting class for a total of 24 credits.

First year spring semester was 20 required credits, and I took the elective finance class for a total of 23 credits.

This semester is 22 required credits, and I'm taking the elective management class for a total of 25 credits.

So 22 required credits for next spring seems pretty typical.

But am I crazy in that I am considering taking not one but THREE electives in the spring?

I need to take the next elective in the business certificate program (which is "Legal and Ethical Issues in Business," a 3 credit course).

I also really want to take the shelter medicine elective (1 credit), and I'd like to take one section of problem-based learning (also 1 credit). Each of the 1 credit classes only meets 1 hour every week so those shouldn't be that bad. But the business class will be Mon/Wed/Fri during the lunch hour and problem-based learning would be either Tues or Thurs during the lunch hour so I'd only have 1 lunch a week, and otherwise have class straight from 8-3 four days a week.

Plus I'd be taking 27 credits, which seems a little excessive. But I think I'm going to go for it. If not now, then when??

2 comments:

  1. 27 credits its absolutely ridiculous! dont you think you'll be super busy with clinical sciences!
    though.... shelter medicine sounds super fun
    maybe there will be a part like
    working with shelter workers, and isolation in a shelter environment and how really everything is contaminated! :) or maybe, it will be like "can you ever do to many fecals?"
    or.... "fleas!" that sounds like a fun lecture
    oh anyways I would try to cut back you know i dont know how 27 credits is even possible! it made me tired reading it
    *ashley...who's maxed out at 12 credits :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm definitely taking the shelter med class (although since it's only 1 hour a week, I'm not sure how much we'll learn). I would really like to take the next business class, otherwise I have to do one as a summer class sometime. Maybe will talk to some current juniors and find out how tough next semester is.... but if I'm already taking 25 credits, 27 can't be that bad, right??

    P.S. No, you can never do too many fecals.

    ReplyDelete