Friday, September 11, 2009

Labor Day: Awesome free day, or annoyance?

I've been having mixed feelings about Labor Day this week.

On the one hand, it was nice to have a 3-day weekend, especially since Saturday was mostly consumed with finishing the capstone exam (which, if you haven't heard, I TOTALLY ROCKED).

An extra day to sleep in (Monday) was nice, particularly after getting up at 6:30 on Sunday morning to drive to church in Broomfield.

I liked spending bonus time with CLH.

However, I have a theory about school/work weeks that are shorter than normal. The sequence goes like this:
  1. I think to myself, "We only have 4 days of class this week! That's going to be so awesome! I bet it will fly by."
  2. I go to class on Tuesday and enjoy myself, thinking how it is the first day of my school week and yet it is already Tuesday.
  3. I go to class on Wednesday and am tired.
  4. I go to class on Thursday and can't wait for the week to end.
  5. I go to class on Friday and realize that this has felt like the longest week ever.
  6. It occurs to me that 80% of a normal school week is not drastically less than 100% of a normal school week.
  7. I feel cheated that my 80% week was actually 4 whole days long, when I had convinced myself it would be short.
  8. I am really glad it is the weekend.
  9. I feel a bit foolish knowing that the following 5-day week will seem normal or even a little short. I
  10. I ponder human psychology briefly, then decide that playing computer games is a better way to invest my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment