Saturday, October 3, 2009

A 5 minute mile is a little too fast for me

Today's 5k hosted by the One Health Club went pretty well. (No, that does not mean I enjoyed getting up at 6:15 and huddling outside in the 28 degree weather for almost two hours before the race started.)

They were hoping for about 100 participants but ended up with 43 people running although 60 people registered (some pre-registered and didn't show up). I actually counted about 45 dogs there, so that was a pretty good dog-to-person ratio. Apparently some of the other local 5k's don't allow canine participation, so that was a plus for ours.

The winner of the race completed it in about 16 minutes, which came to 5 minutes and 10 seconds per mile.

Ok, seriously? Is that, like, humanly possible? I think I could run that fast for about 8 steps before collapsing. Ten minute miles are more my speed.

I didn't run but did do physicals on canine participants for about an hour and talk to people about obesity. Fortunately, most of the doggies that attended were in pretty good shape, because it is often awkward to explain to people that their dog is really fat. (Denial, anyone? "No, she's just fluffy." "It's her winter weight." "I can't stop giving her treats, she'll hate me!")

I got home around 11:30, listed to some "Whad'ya Know" on NPR, had some lunch, and dove into my books and notes in preparation for my upcoming terrible exams.

And, surprisingly, I have managed to stay awake all afternoon so far! Though a nap has been constantly calling....

No comments:

Post a Comment