Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The terrible silent 'G'

Yesterday in our Clinical Pathology lab, we were looking at urine sediments with a microscope. You had to set up a special level of illumination in order to be able to see certain things, which entailed adjusting several components of the microscope.

One of those components was the condenser. The other was the diaphragm.

Or, as one of the instructors wrote on the whiteboard, "diaghphram."

Being a stickler for spelling, I noticed the error(s) immediately and pointed them out to my lab partner.

I was pleased to see, several minutes later, a different instructor approach the whiteboard and proceed to correct the misspelled word (or so I thought).

He erased all the letters except "diag" and proceeded to change the spelling to "diagphragm."

Rolling my eyes, I decided to focus on the big things in life.

But there were 2 more lab sections after mine, and I really hope "diaphragm" was spelled correctly by the end of the last lab.

(Note to self: In the case of diaphragms, one silent 'g' is plenty.)

1 comment: