Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Blizzard update

Yes, we are having one.

Yes, CLH got school cancelled first thing this morning. Good thing he JUST had a four-day weekend, too!

Yes, I still got to make the drive into Fort Collins at 8 this morning, but fortunately the roads were pretty good (though that didn't mean there weren't some noodlehead drivers going 85 down I-25 - and ending up in the ditch).

When I woke up this morning, we had maybe 2 inches of snow on the ground in Windsor - but nothing that was even sticking on the roads, and it wasn't currently snowing.

As it usually does, the snow picked up the closer I got to Fort Collins. They had gotten a little more than we had overnight.

It just kept coming down during my morning classes, with probably a good 6 inches accumulated by lunchtime.

They closed part of the campus, where the snow was so heavy that tree branches were collapsing. They cancelled most of the clubs and meetings for the next two days. They cancelled a free lunch we were supposed to have tomorrow.

And yet, school was still in session.

At 12:15, I made an executive decision to head home. With the snow continuing to come down heavily, and remembering some terrible driving conditions last winter, it just didn't seem worth it to stick around for BoD and Pharmacology just to end up with a dangerous drive home.

At 12:45, as I was driving through Windsor, I got a text message from the university saying that all operations and classes were suspended at 2 pm. Ha!

So in the end, I only missed Pharmacology (gee, darn) and not BoD (a class I really like). The drive home at noon wasn't bad at all, but it's gotten colder as the day progresses and the snow keeps coming - I'm sure there's plenty of ice on the roads by now.

What did I do with my afternoon off? A little studying, a little nap on the floor (induced by studying), a little watching of "House" on Hulu and catching up on "Television Without Pity," some enchiladas for dinner, getting my email down to a remarkable 7 messages in my inbox, and working on stuff for a potential scholarship. And it's only 7:30 pm!

Here's hoping the weather either (a) clears up overnight, enough that CLH and I can both get to work/school safely, or (b) is horrible throughout the morning so we both get another day off!

2 comments:

  1. This just in: CLH has tomorrow off from school/work also! Fingers crossed that I'll be able to say the same (though probably not till the morning, if at all).

    ReplyDelete
  2. "At 12:15, I made an executive decision to head home."

    Good call! I'm super excited that you got the rest of the day off, and a little jealous. Hope you get tomorrow off, too. :)

    ReplyDelete