Monday, October 12, 2009

Pre-vet students: don't know how to talk??

This afternoon's pre-vet tour was somewhat less rewarding than I had expected. To be sure, I gave a decent tour -- perhaps somewhat more scatterbrained than usual, but mostly a good tour. It was a little disconcerting to have such a large group of people, none of whom asked any questions!

They had some neat extra stuff set up for the pre-vet students, including an anesthesia tech to talk about the anesthesia/pain management department, a bunch of antique veterinary tools in the student ophtho lab, a trip to the junior surgery lab, and a really fun presentation by one of the pathologists in the new necropsy lab.

But really, I expected these kids to be full of questions about what vet school is like, how to get in, what they should be doing now, etc. Certainly there was plenty that I wanted to know when I was at that point.

I don't know if they were scared by the hospital? Intimidated by me? (Come on, I'm like 5 feet tall!) Drained from recent big exams? Disinterested in vet med despite being in the pre-vet club? It was like pulling teeth.

In any case, I hope that even if they didn't want to learn anything about vet school life from me or the other guides, at least they got something out of the tours.

No comments:

Post a Comment