Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Some restored faith in the health care system

Today I decided it was finally time to take my ouchy wrist to see the human doctor.

I called Student Health before I left for class, and lo, they had an appointment open at 2:15 today!

I arrived to check in at reception at 2:05 pm.

I was checked in by a nurse at 2:20 pm. (Also, apparently I am 5'3"? Whatever.)

I saw the doctor at 2:30.

By 2:55 pm, I had had a plethora of awesome digital radiographs taken.

At 3:05 pm, the doctor showed me the x-rays (nothing abnormal).

By 3:20 pm, I had a splint for my wrist (and had gotten to see the awesome orthopedics/physical therapy department), handed my charges form to the cashier to be sent up to the insurance dept, paid nothing, and was on my way.

Hooray for fast, courteous, and decent healthcare!

(Could I have gone to Walgreen's and bought a splint and gotten basically the same results? Sure. But I'd rather get a little something for the thousands of dollars in insurance costs and health center fees I'm paying this year....)

Now off to see if I can ring handbells with a splint on my wrist! Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. 5'3"? You just wish you were as tall as Law Boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, at least I'm not shrinking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you have a shear injury to your wrist (i.e. walking shelter dogs) that inflammed your carpal nerve and later on you played so much farmville that you developed carpal tunnel?
    it could happen :)
    hope it feels better! take it easy at bells (maybe play a little one :) )

    ReplyDelete